This is another improvisation on a recipe from Easy Everyday cookbook. The original recipe that inspired us was Moussaka-filled Aubergines, but we had a vegeterian coming for dinner and so we created our own dish with paneer and spinach. It was delicious! No leftovers kind delicious :o)
2. Rub the aubergine shells with olive oil and season lightly with salt. Place them into preheated grill (oven) for about 6-8 minutes or until golden brown and lightly softened.
3. Heat the olive oil and cook the spinach in it for a few minutes. When it becomes soft, add pepper corns, cinnamon, garlic, chili flakes, aubergine flesh and salt to taste and cook it till it becomes soft.
4. Add the tomato puree, stir it in and simmer for 2 minutes.
5. Finally, add the paneer and cook for a few more minutes.
6. Stuff the aubergine shells with spinach-paneer filling, top with grated Parmesan cheese and tomato slices. Bake it in a preheated oven at 200 C for about 20 minutes.
Serve hot with salad and nice bread.
*Paneer can be substituted with ricotta or cottage cheese.
**Instead of Parmesan cheese, you can prepare a topping by mixing 150 g natural yoghurt, 1 egg yolk, freshly grated nutmeg (optional) and salt&pepper. Pour this topping over the filling and top with the sliced tomatoes.