This is a Goan style pulao - a flavourful dish made out of rice that is first browned in oil and then cooked with spices, vegetables and hot Goan sausage. This particular pulao is very popular in Goa and is traditionally made using spicy Goan sausage that adds lovely smokey aroma. But if Goan sausage is not available where you are, it can be replaced with, for example, Spanish Chorizo or any other kind of sausage and made as spicy or as mild as you like it. This pulao is quite similar to the one you get at O'Coqueiro and Britto's in Goa! Ooooh it's such great comfort food... :o)
|You will need:|
1. Heat the oil in the pot and fry cloves, cardamon, peppercorns and cinnamon just until they release their aroma.
2. Add the onion and fry them till they become soft and translucent, don't let them burn.
3. Add the garlic and ginger paste and fry it for just another moment. Add the turmeric powder and mix it well.
4. Add the tomatoes and chorizo pieces keep frying till the tomatoes become soft. Increase the flame if needed.
5. Strain the water from the rice and add them to the pot. Fry the rice stirring occasionally till it starts browning lightly (5-6 minutes).
6. Add 3 cups of water and salt to taste, stir it, wait till it starts boiling cover the pot, reduce the flame and let it cook for 10 minutes without opening the pot even once. After 10 minutes, remove the pot from the flame and let it sit still covered for another couple of minutes. Now it is ready!